Dorn downs poor Castleford Tigers

editorial image

FORMER Castleford Tigers player Luke Dorn came back to haunt his old club with a first half hat-trick of tries and another after the break as London piled on more misery for Ian Millward’s men with a 42-20 win at the Probiz Coliseum.

Full-back Dorn’s backing up play brought him three tries in the opening half while Chris Bailey and Kieran Dixon also plundered tries with Michael Witt kicking five goals in a first half that ended 30-10 in the Broncos’ favour.

Castleford had made a good start and after Ben Johnston, making his senior competitive debut, was only just short of scoring a first minute try they took the lead in the third minute through Adam Milner’s solo effort from just inside his own half. Jamie Ellis kicked the conversion.

They should have had a second score soon after as Richard Owen broke down the wing only to see his pass to the supporting Johnston go to ground with the line open.

But two tries in four minutes from Bailey and Dorn turned the game round and almost every London attack in the first half brought them a try.

Cas could only reply once through Orr as he dummied to open a gap and shot through it to score from close range and they left the field to boos at the interval.

The Tigers briefly threatened a comeback as Josh Griffin blasted through a tackle to score from 30 metres out and Ellis goaled.

But it was effectively all over on 52 minutes when Dorn went over for his fourth try from Witt’s pass and Witt converted.

Griffin scored his second after racing clear from an interception in his own half. However, it was the Broncos who had the last word with Tony Clubb powering over from close range. Witt’s seventh goal from seven completed the scoring.

Scorers - Castleford: Tries Milner, Orr, Griffin 2; goal Ellis 2. London: Tries Bailey, Dorn 4, Dixon, Clubb; goals Witt 7.

Castleford: Johnston; Owen, Thompson, Griffin, Youngquest; Ellis, Orr; Millington, Milner, Huby, Mitchell, Jones, Snitch. Subs: Emmitt, Hudson, Massey, Holmes.

London: Dorn; Dixon, O'Callaghan, Howell, Caro; Witt, Gower; Kaufusi, Randall, Wheeldon, Melling, Bailey, Clubb. Subs: Rinaldi, Bryant, Krasniqi, Bolger.

Referee: Richard Silverwood.

Half-time: 10-30.

Attendance: 5,149.