Castleford well beaten at Wigan

Ashley Gibson.
Ashley Gibson.
Share this article

Castleford Tigers came down to earth with a bump as their quick return to Wigan proved a big disappointment with a heavy 46-6 defeat.

It was not a good way for Daryl Powell to celebrate signing a new deal as head coach at the club as his much changed team failed to match their cup heroics of a week earlier.

Without captain Michael Shenton, goalkicking half-back Marc Sneyd, hooker Daryl Clark and strong running duo Andy Lynch and Jake Webster, the Tigers were blown away by a home side eager for some revenge after their cup knockout and defeat to Cas in Super League earlier this season.

Wigan ran in eight tries in total with Castleford’s only reply a try by recalled centre Ashley Gibson.

The Warriors got on top in the first half after going ahead when Dom Manfredi was sent over by Anthony Gelling and Matty Smith converted.

Full-back Matthew Bowen then intercepted a pass to race from his own half to rub salt into the early round.

Smith converted again, but could not add the extras when Jordan James sprinted through for another score.

Sean O’Loughlin set up Joe Burgess to score the hosts’ fourth try and Smith’s conversion made it 22-0 at half-time.

Any hopes of a Tigers comeback in the second half were dashed when Liam Farrell stretched Wigan’s lead and hooker Michael McIlorum then went over.

Castleford did improve and were unlucky not to get their first score when Kirk Dixon had a try disallowed for a knock-on.

But they were back defending their line and conceding again as Burgess leaped high to catch the ball and cross the line for his second try.

Cas finally got some points on the board when Gibson dived over for a try converted by Jamie Ellis.

But the Warriors had the final word with Gelling sending Manfredi over and Smith kicking his seventh goal.

Scorers - Wigan: Tries Manfredi 2, Bowen, James, Burgess 2, Farrell, McIlorum; goals Smith 7. Castleford: Try Gibson; goal Ellis.

Wigan: Bowen; Manfredi, Sarginson, Gelling, Burgess; Smith, Powell; Flower, McIlorum, Taylor, Farrell, Hughes, O’Loughlin. Subs: Hampshire, Crosby, James, Sutton.

Castleford: Dorn; Dixon, Gibson, Carney, Clare; Ellis, Finn; Jewitt, Milner, Huby, Mariano, Hauraki, Wheeldon. Subs: Millington, Massey, Holmes, Reynolds.

Referee: Phil Bentham (RFL).

Half-time: 22-0.

Attendance: 11,914.