Castleford sink to Broncos defeat

Castleford Tigers skipper Michael Shenton takes on two London Broncos players. Picture: IAN HARBER
Castleford Tigers skipper Michael Shenton takes on two London Broncos players. Picture: IAN HARBER

Three tries in nine second half minutes sank Castleford Tigers at a soggy Wish Communications Stadium as they lost 26-12 to London Broncos.

The Tigers led 12-6 at half-time, but failed to add to their score in heavy conditions after the break and were undone by the Broncos’ sudden try burst on the back of a run of controversial penalties awarded to them by referee Tim Roby.

Michael Robertson raced over from Shane Rodney’s smart pass, Craig Gower darted over from close range and Chris Bailey took advantage of Grant Millington’s slip on the wet pitch to touch down Gower’s kick and with Michael Witt converting all three tries the Broncos had come from six down to be in control at 24-12 up.

Cas failed to respond and Witt’s penalty 12 minutes from time put the seal on London’s second win of the season.

The Tigers had looked comfortable enough at half-time although it was soon apparent that it was not going to be possible to play the free flowing rugby that they had produced in their previous home game against Wigan.

Kirk Dixon put Cas ahead on 12 minutes when first to reach a Jordan Tansey low kick and Jamie Ellis’s touchline conversion made it 6-0.

London hit back to level after Bailey pounced on a loose ball over the home line and Michael Witt added the conversion.

But the Tigers struck again on 32 minutes as Craig Huby shrugged off several London tacklers to power over. Ellis’s goal made it 12-6 at the break.

Scorers - Castleford: Tries Dixon, Huby; goals Ellis 2. London: Tries; Bailey 2; Robertson, Gower; goals Witt 5.

Castleford: Tansey; Owen, Shenton, Webster, Dixon; Chase, Ellis; Emmitt, Clark, Huby, Gilmour, Millington, Holmes. Subs: Walker, Massey, Thompson, Fleming.

London: Robertson; Colbon, Channing, Sarginson, Dixon; Witt, Gower; Cook, Lee, Bryant, Rodney, Bailey, Kaufusi. Subs: Clubb, Lovell, Dorn, Randall.

Referee: Tim Roby.

Half-time: 12-6.

Attendance 4,521.

For more on the game and the reaction to it see Thursday’s edition of the Pontefract & Castleford Express.