Castleford fight back in vain against new Super League leaders

Michael Shenton, try scorer for Castleford Tigers against Huddersfield.
Michael Shenton, try scorer for Castleford Tigers against Huddersfield.

Castleford staged a second half fight back, but were unable to prevent Huddersfield Giants from going top of the Super League at the John Smith’s Stadium.

With former Castleford half-back Danny Brough scoring 20 points with a try and eight goals the Giants won 48-32.

They were well in control in the first half and were 36-4 up by the break with Michael Shenton’s try the only reply from the Tigers.

Cas improved in the second half with Justin Carney and Daryl Clark going over for tries and when Rangi Chase and Weller Hauraki then crossed an unbelievable comeback looked possible as they got to within eight points with 15 minutes left.

Jordan Tansey then went close to another score and more pressure on the home line followed. but the hosts held on and Aaron Murphy eased Huddersfield nerves with a crucial try.

Carney replied when he produced a powerful finish in the left corner, but Cas dropped the ball attempting to run it from their own line from the restart and Kyle Wood then made sure of the Giants victory when he collected the loose ball to score another try goaled by Brough.

In the first half Huddersfield showed why they have gone to the top of the league as their attack blew the Tigers apart.

Joe Wardle opened the scoring before Brough intercepted a pass from Jordan Thompson in Castleford’s next attack to race 60 metres to score.

Brough’s 40-20 put the home team on attack again and another ex-Castleford player, Ben Blackmore, squeezed over in the corner.

Winger Murphy was next on the scoresheet before centre Leroy Cudjoe and Blackmore scored either side of Shenton’s try for Cas.

Scorers - Huddersfield: Tries Wardle, Brough, Blackmore 2, Murphy 2 Cudjoe, Wood. Goals Brough 8. Castleford: Tries Shenton, Carney 2, Clark, Chase, Hauraki. Goals Dixon 4.

Huddersfield: Grix; Blackmore, Cudjoe, Wardle, Murphy; Brough, Robinson; Crabtree, Wood, Kopczak, Ferres, Ta’ai, Ferguson. Subs: Faiumu, Lawrence, Patrick, Mullally.

Castleford: Tansey; Owen, Shenton, Carney, Dixon; Hauraki, Chase; Walker, Milner, Huby, Holmes, Millington, Massey. Subs: Clark, Thompson, Fleming, Davies.

Referee: Richard Silverwood.

Half-time: 36-4.

Attendance: 5,733.