Castleford back to winning ways against Hull KR

Michael Shenton
Michael Shenton

Castleford Tigers climbed back off the bottom of the Super League with a deserved 32-24 victory over Hull KR at the Wish Communications Stadium.

Four tries in 13 second half minutes saw Danny Orr’s men take charge of the game after they had been behind three times.

Trailing 18-12 with 25 minutes left, Cas left Rovers stunned with a try burst started by Michael Shenton’s score in the corner after David Hodgson had been unable to cut out Rangi Chase’s long pass.

Within three minutes Jonathan Walker wrestled his way over and Jamie Ellis’s goal made it 22-18.

Justin Carney was next to score from a Chase pass out wide and when Jordan Tansey showed great skill and pace to add another try 12 minutes from time and Ellis goaled it was 32-18.

Rovers pulled a try back as Omari Caro raced clear to score after intercepting a Chase pass, but it was too late to prevent the Tigers from getting a valuable two points.

It was nip and tuck in the first half with the Tigers twice coming from behind to go in level at 12-12 at the break.

Rovers opened the scoring after only two minutes when Craig Hall returned a Chase kick with interest to give his side good field position and they swiftly moved the ball wide right for Rhys Lovegrove to go over for a try converted by Michael Dobson.

Cas levelled as Chase’s well timed pass sent Ryan Boyle over for his first try since his return to the club and Ellis goaled.

Several chances were then squandered by the hosts and they were made to pay when Rovers marched down field and Liam Salter ducked under a tackle close to the line to score his side’s second try. Dobson’s conversion made it 12-6.

But back came the Tigers again to score with the last play of the half, Chase and Tansey doing well to work some space down the left and winger Carney charging over. Ellis’s goal sent the teams in level.

Rovers stunned the hosts straight from the second half restart when the ball was allowed to bounce and Mickey Paea gathered his own side’s kick-off to send Liam Salter over. Michael Dobson’s goal put them 18-12 up only for Castleford’s stunning comeback to turn the game on its head.

Scorers - Castleford: Tries Boyle, Carney 2, Shenton, Walker, Tansey; goals Ellis 4. Hull KR: Tries Lovegrove, Salter 2, Caro; goals Dobson 4.

Castleford: Tansey; Carney, Shenton, Thompson, Dixon; Chase, Ellis; Mason, Clark, Boyle, Holmes, Hauraki, Massey. Subs: J Walker, Milner, Huby, Gilmour.

Hull KR: Hall; Caro, Salter, George, D Hodgson; Burns, Dobson; A Walker, Carlile, Beaumont, Lovegrove, J Hodgson, Mika. Subs: Paea, Cox, Green, Griffin.

Referee: Tim Roby.


Attendance: 6,474.