Blues start friendly fixtures with Scarborough win

editorial image

FRICKLEY Athletic kicked-off their summer friendly matches with a 2-0 victory over Scarborough Athletic at the Tech5 Stadium last night.

Goals from Danny Walsh and new signing Ben Leonard proved enough to give the Blues victory against the Northern Counties East League side.

Even more important than the scoreline for Blues boss Peter Rinkcavage was the fact he fielded almost two different teams in each half to give a host of players their first outings of the season.

Goalkeeper Ben Simpson was unavailable due to a sprained ankle so Jordan Bradshaw took over between the posts, while Rinkcavage experimented with two formations.

It was the Seadogs who threatened first, Bradshaw turning a low shot from Scott Phillips around the post in the second minute.

But the Blues should have gone ahead four minutes later when Walsh split the visiting cover with a pass to Alex Callery and he whipped in a pinpoint low cross that Jack Watts scuffed to see his shot comfortably saved by Ed Eley, the Seadogs stopped.

There was no mistake in the ninth minute as the hosts broke the deadlock when Walsh drilled an effort beyond Eley from an Alex Callery corner.

A corner by Callery in the 15th minute saw Watts fire inches wide, while Brad Grayson went close with a fierce drive moments later as Frickey called the tune.

Scarborough got little change from a well-marshalled home cover, although Joe Naylor had a far-post header deflected off the line after a 16th minute corner kick.

New arrival Teo Ringrose was showing a fair turn of pace and he raced onto a through ball in the 34th minute and rounded his marker before striking a rising 20-yard drive which Eley did well to tip over the bar.

An angled cross from Ringrose was well held at the far post by Ely after another penetrating run by the Blues forward seven minutes later.

Bradshaw and James Ashmore were the only Frickley players to resume after the interval, with Rinkcavage bringing on nine substitutes, but it did not change the rhythm and the visitors continued to be stretched down both flanks.

The Evo-Stik Premier side improved their advantage in the 62nd minute when a corner kick from the right by Mark Whitehouse allowed Leonard to hit the target with a rocket-powered header.

To their credit the Seadogs never gave in and it needed a clearance off the line by Gav Smith to prevent Danny Ingham from reducing the arrears with a low shot five minutes later.

The visitors rang the changes with their players, which gave the Blues several opportunities, Ashley Longstaff making a run from the halfway line in the 71st minute before dragging a 25-yard drive just wide of the target, and Andy Catton got clear a minute later only to screw his shot off target.

Bradshaw was alert and darted off his line to block a point blank shot from Ryan Blott as Borough tried to salvage a consolation after 78 minutes.

Frickley: Jordan Bradshaw, Charlie Fisher (Kelvin Bleur 46min), James Kay (Gav Smith 46), Stuart Ludlam (Ben Leonard 46), Michael Simkins (Lincoln Adams 46), Danny Walsh (Dean Jones 46), Alex Callery (Andy Catton 46), James Ashmore, Jack Watts (Ashley Longstaff 46), Brad Grayson (Ollie Ryan 46), Teo Ringrose (Mark Whitehouse 46).

Scarborough: (from) Ed Ely, Dave Kemp, Chris Hewitt, Matt Draper, Darren Winter, Joe Naylor, Paddy Miller, Tony Hackworth, Curtis Bernard, Ant Lynam, Scott Phillips, Tom Woodhead, Ryan Blott, Brenton Leister, Danny Ingram, Bill Law, Frank Belt, Joel Hartley, Dave Hartas, Mark Griffin.

Referee: Mr L Watson.

Attendance: 177.

See this week’s Hemsworth and South Elmsall Express for all the latest sports news from around the area.