Blues leave it late to snatch point at Whitby Town

GOALSCORER: Frickley's Luke Picton.
GOALSCORER: Frickley's Luke Picton.

Two late goals gave the Blues a share of the spoils at the seaside on Bank Holiday Monday as they drew 2-2 with Whitby Town.

Town scored twice in as many minutes just after the hour mark to seemingly be heading for three points before Jake Picton pulled a goal back and then Mark Gray levelled five minutes from time.

It took Frickley’s points tally to four from a possible six over the Bank Holiday weekend as Karl Rose’s men start to click into gear.

Rose made one forced change to the side that beat Rushall Olympic 4-2 two days earlier with Andy Villermann coming in at left-back and Steve Gardner moving to right-back to fill in for the unavailable Joe Wilcox.

The visitors hit the ground running following their first win of the season and Picton volleyed an effort straight at Whitby stopper Shane Bland four minutes in.

Jimmy Ghaichem flashed an effort wide minutes later before Frickley goalkeeper Tom Woodhead was called into action for the first time on 23 minutes to thwart Craig Farrell.

Jake Picton had a header cleared off the line five minutes before the break before curling an 18-yard shot just over the bar.

Both teams continued to create chances on the resumption but it was the hosts that took two inside as many minutes to grab a hold of the game.

Greame Armstrong glanced a deep Whitby free-kick into the back of the net on 65 minutes and Tom Portas fired a low shot past Woodhead straight after to leave the Blues with it all to do.

The South Elmsall side did not throw in the towel, however, and pulled a goal back with 15 minutes to go to make it a tense finish.

Frickley took a quick free-kick and Ghaichem’s cross was volleyed in from 12-yards by Picton to leave it all to play for.

And the leveller came with five minutes to go.

Jason Yates saw a header crash against the post and Gray was well positioned to drill the ball home.

The Blues had chances to win it when Gardner’s dangerous ball flashed across the face of goal and from the resulting corner Matty Bloor saw his header pushed away.

Whitby Town: Bland, Hassan, Robinson, Burgess, Pell, McTiernan, Mulligan (Henry 83), Portas (Bullock 69), Armstrong, Farrell (Snaith 63), Rundle. Unused substitutes: Evans, Cook.

Frickley Athletic: Woodhead, Gardner, Villermann, Picton, Gray, Jeffs, Ghaichem (Yates 83), Bloor, Hinsley, Allott, Fox. Unused substitutes. Fearon, Stratford, Rose, Hood.

Attendance: 301.

Next games: v Chorley (H, Sat), v Blyth Spartans (H, Tue).