Ashmore brace fires Blues to first away win at North Ferriby

Frickley athletic new kit  New club badge
Frickley athletic new kit New club badge
Share this article

A BRACE of James Ashmore goals gave Frickley Athletic their first away victory of the season at North Ferriby United last night.

Ashmore scored twice in the last 12 minutes to see the Blues, boosted by the inclusion of new signing Peter Knox in attack, come from a goal down to see off their hosts at Grange Lane.

Blues boss Peter Rinkcavage made a host of changes to the team that slumped to a 1-0 home defeat against Ashton United at the weekend. With Michael Simpkins suspended, Kelvin Bleau and David Cyrus partnered Lincoln Adams and Stuart Ludlam in defence, while new signing Knox was given his debit.

The hosts posed the first threat in the eighth minute when Wayne Brooksby hammered a 30-yard drive just over the bar.

Frickley responded and Knox flashed an effort wide of the post before testing Ferriby goalkeeper Steve Wilson.

Adam Billard, the Blues stopper, did well to palm away a stinging 20-yard shot from Russell Fry in the 26th minute, and showed anticipation and skill in tipping a long range Paul Harsley over the top moments later.

With the wind in their favour after the interval, the Blues thought they’d taken the lead in the 53rd minute when Adams challenged Wilson and the ball went into the net off Harsley, but it was disallowed for a foul.

On the hour, Bleau put a ball over the top of the United defence for Knox to collect, holding off his marker before drilling a shot a whisker wide of the left hand post.

Billard saved a close range header from Phil Jackman three minutes later, and recovered quickly to smother the rebound from Gary Bradshaw.

Ferriby grabbed the lead in the 70th minute when Kevin Larvin raced away down the left and whipped in a cross for Sam Mulready to head home just inside the far post.

Frickley responded and were rewarded eight minutes later when a corner by Leon Henry was only half cleared and Ashmore lashed a 25-yard rocket into the top corner.

Philip Jackman fired into the side netting for United in the 80th minute before play switched to the other end, Henry crossing from the left for Ashmore to collect, only for his shot to be blocked on the line.

But Ashmore made no mistake in the 86th minute when he curled a 25-yard free-kick in off the left hand post to put the Blues in front.

A Bradshaw free-kick shaved the bar two minutes later but Frickley were determined not to surrender any spoils and kept the home attack in check for an agonising six minutes of stoppage time.

North Ferriby: Steve Wilson, James Williams, Kevin Larvin, Mark Greaves (Sam Belcher 61min), Nathan Peat, Paul Harsley, Russell Fry, Sam Mulready, Philip Jackman, Gary Bradshaw, Wayne Brooksby. Unused substitutes: John Leonard. Mathew Stirland, Luke Thompson, Ben White.

Frickley: Adam Billard, Kelvin Bleau James Kay 85), David Cyrus, Danny Walsh, Lincoln Adams, Stuart Ludlam, Alex Callery (Ashley Longstaff 75), James Ashmore, Peter Knox (Ben Leonard 90), Ryan Mallon, Leon Henry. Unused substitutes: Bradley Grayson, Karl Jones.

Referee: Mr Steve Meredith.

Attendance: 167.

See this week’s Hemsworth and South Elmsall Express for all the Blues news and reports.