Allott double not enough as Kings Lynn twice peg back Blues

Share this article

Frickley Athletic twice threw away a lead and had to make do with a share of the spoils in a 2-2 draw with Kings Lynn Town on Tuesday night.

Gavin Allott bagged both goals to see the Blues ahead but the visitors hit back on both occasions to leave Westfield Lane with a deserved point.

The Linnets had plenty of the ball but struggled to carve out too many chances while Allott was clinical at the other end and could have had a hat-trick when he hit the post with the hosts 2-1 up.

Allott returned to action in place of Korey Dyer-Stewart, who has indicated he no longer wants to play for the Blues, while Andy Villermann came in at left-back with Luke Jeffs absent through illness.

The Linnets made two changes to the side that drew 0-0 with FC United of Manchester on Saturday with Ryan Clarke returning from suspension to replace George Thomson at right-back while Richard Bunting returned as captain in place of the injured Robert Duffy.

The visitors made the brighter start when Jack Jones placed a powerful volley just over Tom Woodhead’s goal from a pin-point Jordan Yong cross. Town continued their forward momentum for the opening 15 minutes but could not find their way past a stubborn Blues defence.

Frickley found their way into the game with Jake Picton and Luke Hinsley testing Lynn goalkeeper Alexander Street and the hosts opened the scoring after 25 minutes. Yong felled Allott inside the box and Athletic’s top scorer drilled in the opener in confident style.

It forced the visitors to up their gear and Ryan Fryatt saw his header from a Andrew Hall corner cleared off the line ten minutes later. Hall was central to all of Lynn’s attacks and he stung the hands of Frickley goalkeeper Tom Woodhead three times before the Linnets drew level four minutes before the break.

Jones wrong-footed Steve Gardner on the edge of the box and powered forward to unleash an unstoppable low effort into the bottom corner to send Town into the interval on level terms with his first goal for the club since joining on loan from Tamworth.

Lynn failed to carry their momentum into the second half, however, and found themselves behind again eight minutes after the restart. Allott got on the end of a James Ghaichem through ball and produced a clinical finish past Street to double his tally for the night.

Jones struck a good chance over the bar in reply but Town could have found themselves further behind when Allott held the ball up in the box, turned and hit the post in search of his hat-trick goal just after the hour mark.

Town pushed to get on level terms for a second time but for all their pressure in the Frickley half they struggled to find the finishing touch. That changed when Daniel Jacob was hauled down inside the box and the referee pointed to the spot with just over ten minutes left. Hall stepped up and made no mistake from the spot.

Both sides had chances to win it late on but the Blues had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Frickley: Tom Woodhead, Steve Gardner, Andy Villermann, Jake Picton, Sam Denton, Joe Wilcox, Joe Fox (Phil Oniama 88), Matt Bloor, Luke Hinsley, Gavin Allott, James Ghaichem. Subs not used: Luke Jeffs, Ollie Fearon, Lee Stratford, Karl Rose.

Kings Lynn: Alexander Street, Ryan Clarke, Jordan Yong, Jason Lee (Ewan Clarke 77), Ryan Fryatt, Richard Bunting (Stephen Briggs 74), Andrew Hall, Gary Mills (George Thomson 69), Dan Quigley, Jake Jones, Daniel Jacob. Subs not used: Charlie Butt, Bradley Stewart.

Referee: Gareth Mellor.

Attendance: 196.