Woman died from infection

A SOUTH Kirkby woman died after getting an infection following surgery, an inquest heard.

Linda Larkin, 51, of Saxon Grove, developed septicaemia and suffered a ruptured fallopian tube and multiple organ failure. She was found in an unresponsive state by her husband, James Larkin, and was pronounced dead in the early hours of Wednesday, March 16.

An inquest at Wakefield Coroner’s Court on Friday heard that Mrs Larkin had been diagnosed with grade three aggressive breast cancer in May 2010. She underwent a mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy and began suffering from heavy menstrual bleeding after a change to her treatment.

Mrs Larkin underwent a hysteroscopy to discover the cause for the bleeding on February 28 2011. While the procedure was being performed, surgeons carried out a polypectomy after finding a polyp, a ‘skin tag’, that needed removing.

She began to feel unwell around two weeks after the exploratory surgery.

Mr Larkin said: “Everything was fine the Sunday (March 13). I returned from taking the dog out and she told me she was feeling a bit off. She was suffering from sickness and diarrhoea on the Monday and I spoke with her breast cancer care nurse, because I didn’t know how strong her immune system was. She told us to ring a GP if it persisted after 24 hours.”

Mrs Larkin started suffering from severe abdominal pain overnight on Monday so Mr Larkin called Stockingate GP Surgery. She was visited by Dr Buckham, who diagnosed gastroenteritis. She deteriorated overnight and was found dead by Mr Larkin shortly after 5.40am.

The inquest also heard from Dr John Macrow, who performed the hysteroscopy. He said that Mrs Larkin’s symptoms shortly before her death were not typical of an infection and that it was unusual for the two things to be related a fortnight after the procedure.

Recording a narrative verdict, deputy assistant coroner Mary Burke said: “Linda Larkin underwent a hysteroscopy and polypectomy. On or around March 13, she developed symptoms of abdominal pain, sickness and diarrhoea. She was reviewed by a GP on March 15 and diagnosed with gastroenteritis.

“The following morning she was found unresponsive in her bed and was pronounced dead. The cause of her death was multiple organ failure, which had been caused by septicaemia following the rupture of her left fallopian tube.”