THE DEVASTATED widow of a man who died from asbestos-related lung cancer is appealing to anyone who might have worked with her husband or be able provide information about the company to help her compensation fight.
Graham Studd was 60 years old when he lost his fight with mesothelioma in October 2010 after being diagnosed with the disease caused by asbestos exposure.
His wife, Carol, 61, of White Apron Street, South Kirkby, is urging anyone who may have worked with her husband at Clifford Radford Builders Limited in the late 60s, early 70s, that was based on Stockingate, South Kirkby, to come forward, as it is believed that is where he was exposed to the deadly dust.
Mesothelioma can take between 10 and 60 years to develop after exposure to the dust.
She said: “He was the love of my life and just miss him so much. Our three children have found it so tough to cope with. He worked so hard all of his life and was looking forward to retiring but didn’t get the chance.”
She believes the company’s insurers should be made to pay for negligence.
She said: “I am not standing here with a begging bowl but I have been left on my own and the money could help my children and grandchildren. That’s what Graham would have wanted.
“I just want someone to take responsibility.”
Ian Bailey, a partner in the industrial illness team at Irwin Mitchell, who is representing the family, said Mr Studd remembered being exposed to asbestos when he was working as a joiner for the firm when the dangers of the lethal dust were known, but was not warned of the dangers or provided with any protection.
He wants people to come forward with details of the working conditions at the firm, or of their insurers, so they can move forward with their case. The firm are seeking more information about when the company closed.
Anyone with information should contact Mr Bailey at Irwin Mitchell, on 0113 394 6765, or e-mail ian.bailey@ irwinmitchell.com.