Nash nets winner for five star Hemsworth MW

Nash Connolly.
Nash Connolly.

Hemsworth MW made it five games unbeaten in the Premier Division of the Toolstation NCE League when they won 1-0 at Barton Town Old Boys on Tuesday night.

Wayne Benn’s men are still to taste defeat following promotion to the top flight and were following up a thrilling 5-3 success in another away game at Clipstone last Saturday.

This time it was their defence that shone as they kept their hosts at bay throughout.

They were ahead from the 25th minute when Nash Connolly scored his sixth goal of the season and this proved the winner.

The victory came at a cost as two players suffered injuries with both Josh Bucknall and Ashley Smith having to leave the field with the need of assistance and the former taken to hospital.

Hemsworth bounced back after the disappointment of their early FA Cup exit as they won 5-3 in a game of good attacking football at Clipstone last Saturday.

It took them only 22 seconds to score when Billy Law fired in from 18 yards after latching onto a lay-off from Dom Blair.

Clipstone hit back through Martin Brissett, but Luke Danville made it 2-1 on 29 minutes with a powerful header from a Blair corner that gave the keeper no chance.

Wells had a big chance to make it three when Brice Tiani made a great run into the area and as he cut in to play the ball across it struck the arm of a Clipstone defender. A penalty was the result, but unfortunately for Tiani the home keeper was equal to his spot kick and a recovering defender was in quick enough to get a tackle in to encourage the follow up to sail over the bar.

The home side were fortunate on 36 minutes when awarded a controversial free-kick just outside the area and Nathan Forbes beat keeper Sam Leigh with a shot that skimmed off the wet grass.

Hemsworth made the better start to the second half and went back ahead as Blair got free down in the left corner and his deep cross eluded everyone to go straight in off the far post.

Within five minutes Wells were 4-2 up when Nick Guest headed in from close range from a Blair corner.

As the weather got worse the home side seemed to cope better and put the Wells defence under pressure, but poor finishing and an excellent save from Leigh kept the score the same.

Persistence finally paid off for the home side as Brandon Cardwell netted to make it an interesting last 20 minutes.

Both sides missed chances before Hemsworth finally put the game to bed in the 90th minute with their fifth goal.

Substitute Ashley Smith was sent through on goal and the bounce beat the onrushing keeper. A rash swipe out to deny the attacker saw the assistant raise his flag for handball outside the area and the referee had no option but to send the former Askern and Worksop stopper off.

A defender took the green jersey and his first job was to pick the ball out of the back of the net after Guest stepped up to take the free-kick just outside the area and skimmed the ball across the greasy surface into the replacement keeper’s net.

This Saturday Hemsworth are back at home in a big game when they play Cleethorpes Town, who sit on top of the table, on goal difference ahead of Wells, with both having won four and drawn one so far.

Kick-off in what will be a good test of where Hemsworth are at right now is 3pm.