Monster jailed for sex attack

A SEX attacker from South Elmsall whose crimes were described as 'callous, brutal and disgusting' has been jailed for at least four-and-a-half years.

Monday, 25th January 2010, 12:13 pm
Updated Wednesday, 27th January 2010, 8:34 am

Ian Naylor, 26, of Grimethorpe Street, South Elmsall, was caged after attempting to rape and threatening to kill a woman as she waited on a deserted railway platform.

On Wednesday Leeds Crown Court heard that the attack at Mirfield train station had been the latest in a string of sex offences.

Timothy Capstick, prosecuting, said Naylor had briefly spoken to his victim as she waited for friends on May 22 last year. He had then walked away, only to return, grab her shoulders and push her back against the fencing.

He told the terrified woman that he would kill her if she did not follow his orders, before leading her down the platform, across the car park and into nearby bushes.

There, he tried to rape her, slapped her across the face and nearly strangled her, causing her to ‘black out momentarily’, Mr Capstick said.

Naylor also went through the woman's suitcase which she had pulled into the bushes, Mr Capstick told the court.

The victim found her friends after Naylor had left the scene. She was crying hysterically and had blood around her teeth, mouth and nose.

Handing Naylor an indeterminate sentence for public protection, Judge Rodney Grant said his crimes were ‘callous, brutal and disgusting’, adding: “She must have been absolutely terrified by your behaviour.”

At an earlier hearing Naylor had admitted to two counts of attempted rape and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The court heard he had a record of sexual offences beginning when he was 14, when he grabbed a woman, indecently assaulting her and calling her a ‘slag’.

At 15 he approached a girl of about 15 and threatened to pull down her pants. He took hold of her and there was a struggle but she got away with the help of her sister.

Finally in August 2000 he was given an 18-month detention and training order after he attacked a woman psychologist. He put his hands over her mouth and nose and indecently assaulted her.

Judge Grant ordered Naylor to serve a minimum of four-and-a-half years in prison minus the time spent in custody, adding: “You will not be released into the public until it is judged that you are no longer a risk to the community.”

Neil Clark for Naylor said he had a difficult childhood, spending much of it in care and by last year was an alcoholic who regularly drank around nine litres of cider a day.

Prior to the offences that day he had been drinking for a long period and had little recollection of events because he had consumed 18 litres of cider and six of lager.

He said Naylor now realised he needed help for his drinking and his attitude to women.