Late goals deny Frickley victory over leaders

Scorer Tyler Williams.
Scorer Tyler Williams.

Frickley Athletic defied the odds to produce a fantastic battling performance in which they could count themselves unlucky to only take a point off Evo-Stik Premier Division leaders Buxton at Westfield Lane on Saturday.

After losing their previous four league games, the second from bottom Blues restored some pride after their midweek mauling at the hands of Coalville in a gutsy display against opponents who arrived three points clear at the head of affairs.

Indeed they looked like pulling off a major surprise when despite having to make a number of changes to their line-up they led 4-1 in the first half with a brilliant display of attacking football that left the table toppers stunned.

But the sending off of skipper for the day Macauley Parkinson just before half-time proved crucial as the leaders launched a comeback that earned them a point after the break.

Frickley put out a massively changed team, including player-manager Lee Morris in the starting 11, with a big list of absentees as a result of suspension, injury and unavailability.

But they were straight out off the blocks and ahead after only three minutes as Morris threaded the ball through for Shiraz Khan who dinked it past the keeper for his first goal for the club.

Three minutes later it was 2-0 and Buxton could not believe it as Morris this time fed Tyler Williams and he set up Khan for his second.

The leaders hit back on the quarter hour with a Niall Doran goal, but the Blues charged forward again and Williams scored their third with a great strike.

Frickley suffered a big blow when Parkinson was red carded, but it did not affect them initially as they made it 4-1 with Morris putting away a penalty awarded for handball following a Noel Burdett corner.

With 10 men it was hard work for the Blues in the second half and Buxton began their comeback when keeper Sebastian Malkowski came for a corner and missed it, leaving an open goal for Joel Bembo-Leta.

Frickley kept going and Brad Dockerty went close. It looked like they could hold on, but they tired and after being pushed back conceded two goals in the last five minutes, Lee Bennett and Bembo-Leta scrambling the ball in to rescue a fortunate point for Buxton.

Former Frickley player Brad Grayson had a chance to snatch all three points for Buxton with the last kick of the game, but managed to miss from close range.