Injury-hit Castleford hammered by Wolves

Andy Lynch: Suffered a knee injury at Warrington.
Andy Lynch: Suffered a knee injury at Warrington.

Castleford Tigers’ woes continued as they were heavily beaten 56-12 by Warrington Wolves on a night to forget at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Daryl Powell’s men suffered their third successive defeat as they conceded 11 tries to an on fire Warrington side and suffered more injury setbacks with forwards Andy Lynch and Matt Cook having to leave the field.

Cas knew they were in for a tough night against opponents still unbeaten in Super League this season, but they were blown away after a first half horror show.

The Tigers were left with an uphill task after conceding three tries in the first 15 minutes.

First livewire half-back Chris Sandow followed up his own clever kick to score the opening try then two more quickly followed from Kevin Penny and Tom Lineham on opposite wings following some smart handling that Cas could not live with.

Full-back Matty Russell went over twice from close range to add to the visitors’ misery and it just got worse and worse in the opening half as Ryan Atkins barged over and Ben Currie raced in after more skilful handling to make it 38-0 at half-time.

The onslaught continued within two minutes of the second half when Australian Sandow jinked his through for his second try.

The travelling Cas fans finally had something to cheer on 47 minutes as their team put their first points on the board, Mike McMeeken’s well timed pass sending Joel Monaghan over in the corner for a try against his former club.

Nine minutes later they scored again when Gadwin Springer charged through a hole created by Lynch’s pass and Luke Gale added his second goal.

But any hopes of at least winning the second half were ended when Warrington finished the game the stronger and the Tigers’ efforts were not helped by Lynch going off with a serious looking knee injury and Cook suffering a head injury.

Hooker Brad Dwyer added to Warrington’s points after they kept the ball alive through several phases of play, including a Sandow high kick that was knocked back.

Lineham then scored his second try in more controversial fashion as he seemed to go in touch, but according to the officials managed to get the ball down in the corner after catching Sandow’s high kick to the corner.

The hosts lost Stefan Ratchford to the sin-bin late on, but Currie completed Castleford’s misery in the final minute when he waltzed through shellshocked defenders and Kurt Gidley kicked his sixth goal.

Scorers - Warrington: Tries Russell 2, Sandow 2, Lineham 2, Currie 2, Penny, Atkins, Dwyer; goals Gidley 6. Castleford: Tries Monaghan, Springer: goals: Gale 2.

Warrington: Russell; Penny, Evans, Atkins, Lineham; Gidley, Sandow; Hill, Dwyer, Sims, Currie, Hughes, Westerman. Subs: Ratchford, King, Clark, Cox.

Castleford: Hitchcox; Monaghan, Crooks, Webster, Solomona; Hampshire, Gale; Lynch, Milner, Maher, Millington, McMeeken, Massey. Subs: Cook, Springer, Mariano, McShane.

Referee: Robert Hicks.

Half-time: 38-0.

Attendance: 10,940.