This week we lead on a family who had to flee for their lives after a fire destroyed their home.
Also in news:
- Dozens of new homes could be built on the former Minsthorpe Pool site as part of a plan to regenerate the south east.
- Olympic torch bearer Mick Cordall - who raised thousands of pounds by running 29 marathons - is bringing his trainers out of retirement.
- The family of a six-year-old boy say they have been dealt a devastating blow after the drugs watchdog said he may not get a drug that could help his rare illness.
- Youngsters in South Hiendley could soon be enjoying a new £120,000 skate park as part of plans being drawn up by council bosses.
- Frickley Athletic will test themselves against Football League opponents when Sky Bet League One club Doncaster Rovers are set bring their first team squad to Westfield Lane for a pre-season friendly next month.
- Hemsworth maintained their Pontefract Cricket League Division Two promotion challenge and reached the Dyson-Skidmore Trophy quarterfinals by beating Glasshoughton twice on successive days last weekend.
- A second-half collapse saw Upton under 12s junior rugby league team lose to Division One leaders Stanningley.
- A full round up of all the latest junior sports reports, plus horse racing and cycling news.