Hot ashes cause Pontefract bin fire

editorial image

A garden shed and garage were left damaged by flames after a fire spread from a nearby plastic bin.

Hot ashes had accidentally been placed in the wrong bin causing the container to catch fire.

The flames developed over several hours and spread to a garden shed and a ground floor garage attached to the house at Estcourt Road in Darrington.

The occupants discovered the blaze and raised the alarm at around 2am this morning (April 4)

Firefighters from Pontefract were called to the scene to extinguish the flames.

Nobody was injured.