Holders Frickley through to Senior Cup semis

James Walshaw.
James Walshaw.

Striker James Walshaw came off the bench to score twice as Frickley Athletic came from behind to beat AFC Emley 4-1 in the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup quarter-finals.

Former Blues striker Ashley Flynn had given the Toolstation NCE first division side a 30th minute lead from the penalty spot following a handball decision given against Jameel Ible. Luke Hinsley equalised before Walshaw entered the fray and grabbed two goals, bisected by a strike from Jacob Hazel.

Manager Karl Rose brought Macaulay Parkinson in at right-back in place of Tom Davie who was carrying an injury. Chris Wood and Grant Ryan formed the attacking partnership with Hazel moving out to the right in place of the ill Brad Grayson. Jack Wakefield returned to the squad with a place on the bench.

Frickley could have taken the lead in the fourth minute when Hazel sent Tyler Williams away down the left before collecting Williams’ cross at the far post, but he put his angled shot over the bar from 12 yards.

Williams had an angled shot collected at the second time of asking by Emley ‘keeper Adam Lawlor three minutes later and Wood latched onto an Ible knock down to hit the top of the crossbar from six yards on 27 minutes.

The visitors were awarded a penalty in the 30th minute when a flick on from Ruben Jerome struck Ible’s arm inside the box and Flynn stepped up to fire the resulting penalty past Sebastian Malkowski.

The Blues responded with Ryan firing wide from 18 yards while Sam Akeroyd cut in from the left before seeing his 20-yard shot deflected wide.

Kieran Ryan forced Malkowski into saving his low 25-yard shot on 38 minutes for Emley.

The start of the second half saw Cyrus have a snap-shot blocked following a Steven Jeff free-kick before Hinsley equalised on 53 minutes. Parkinson’s high cross from the right saw Hinsley leap to reach the ball ahead of Lawlor before slotting the ball into an unguarded net from eight yards.

Williams cut in from the left before having his strong shot brilliantly tipped over by Lawlor on 61 minutes but Flynn showed the Blues’ defence they couldn’t relax when he fizzed a shot just wide of the left hand post from 15 yards.

Williams side-footed wide from 10 yards and substitute Walshaw headed wide of the near post from eight yards following a cross by Hazel from the right. Hazel had an angled shot deflected for a corner which led to Walshaw glancing Jeff’s flag-kick in from close range to put the Blues ahead.

Frickley made it 3-1 on 82 minutes when Williams did brilliantly down the left to cut inside along the goal-line before picking out Hazel who steered a shot just inside the left hand post from 12 yards.

Hazel then played in Akeroyd who saw his low shot blocked by Lawlor before the Blues wrapped the game up in the 88th minute. Wakefield, who had only come onto the pitch 60 seconds earlier, sent Walshaw clear and the striker calmly rounded the advancing Lawlor before firing into an empty net.

Frickley Athletic: Malkowski, Parkinson, Jeff, Hinsley, Cyrus, Ible, Hazel, Akeroyd (Wakefield 87), Wood, Ryan (Walshaw 53), Williams.

Tom Davie struck twice, the second two minutes from time, as Frickley Athletic came from behind twice to draw 2-2 at promotion chasing Salford City in the Evo-Stik Premier League last Saturday.

The Blues maintained their momentum from two back to back wins the previous week with manager Karl Rose kicking off with the same 11 that beat Ilkeston.

On a cold, wet and windy afternoon and playing on a heavy and bobbly pitch Frickley played down the slope in the first half and started brightly. In only the second minute Tyler Williams headed just wide following a deep cross from Jacob Hazel.

John Johnston blazed wide from 20 yards 60 seconds later as the home side responded while the Blues again had a man over at the far post on nine minutes when Luke Hinsley headed wide following a corner by Steven Jeff.

Davie clipped the top of the crossbar with a cross from the right, but Salford took the lead in the 16th minute with their first threatening attack as Richie Allen cut in the box from the left to fire an angled shot past keeper Sebastian Malkowski into the far corner.

Brad Grayson did well down the right before firing an angled shot into the side netting from a tight angle on 21 minutes and James Walshaw lashed an angled shot inches over. Grayson then clipped the crossbar with a cross on 42 minutes.

The Blues’ persistence paid off in the second minute of stoppage time when Jeff’s right wing corner was flicked on for Davie to knock in at the back post.

The second half was a different story with Salford applying most of the pressure. Malkowski blocked well to deny Josh Hine, but Salford regained the lead on the hour when a cross from the left to the back post was headed back across goal for Jordan Hulme to head in from close range.

A great tackle from Sam Akeroyd denied Johnston when he looked certain to score four minutes later and Hulme turned and shot over from the edge of the box as Salford threatened to run riot.

However, after a few other chances had gone begging, the Blues regrouped and Rose made a last ditch bid to salvage a point when he replaced left-back Jeff with striker Grant Ryan in the 84th minute and it was Ryan whose cross in the 88th minute deflected off a defender and looped over to the back post where Davie was on hand to fire the ball in from close range.

Frickley: Malkowsi, Davie, Jeff (Ryan 84), Hinsley, Cyrus, Ible, Grayson (Parkinson 75), Akeroyd, Hazel, Walshaw, Williams.