Gas supplies have now been restored to the majority of homes in Netherton after water leaked into the network earlier following a water main burst.
Around 750 properties were affected on Wednesday, including those on Coxley Crescent, Coxley View, Upper Lane, South Lane and in Midgley.
Engineers from Northern Gas Networks were required to pump water out of the gas network, before reconnecting customers on a property by property basis.
Russ Kaye, business operations lead for Northern Gas Networks, said: “If properties are empty at the time we call round, we’re posting information cards, asking residents to get in touch so that we can switch them back on upon their return home.
“People have been incredibly understanding and appreciative of our efforts. A huge thanks to the local community for staying so positive and bearing with us.”
The village hall was used as a drop-in centre throughout the incident, and free hot food was made available to residents without cooking facilities.
Any customers who still require support can contact NGN’s Customer Care Team on 0800 040 7766 (option 3).
Anyone who smells gas or suspects carbon monoxide should call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999. This line is in operation 24-hours a day, seven days a week.