Frickley suffer fourth successive league defeat

Frickley Athletic manager Lee Morris.
Frickley Athletic manager Lee Morris.

Frickley Athletic sank to second from bottom after a defensive horror show saw them well beaten at home to Coalville Town in the Evo-Stik Premier League on Tuesday night.

Lee Morris’s men were desperate for points after a 3-1 loss at Sutton Coldfield on Saturday, but suffered a fourth successive league defeat as they went down 4-0 on home soil.

All the goals came in the second half after the Blues had been solid in the opening 45 minutes.

There was no sign of what was to come as Frickley exerted plenty of pressure without being able to find the back of the net. But it all changed after Karl Demidh was allowed too much time in the six-yard box and opened the scoring for Coalville three minutes into the second half.

Demidh made it two just after the hour following an error by keeper Jamie Green and further goals in the last 10 minutes by Callum Woodward and Alex Troke completed the Blues’ misery.

Frickley are still looking for a first away point after going down 3-1 at Sutton Coldfield last Saturday.

They started well enough against opponents unbeaten on home soil as the first chance fell to Luke Mangham from a cross by new loan signing Shiraz Khan, but he sent his effort wide.

James Beresford and Luke Keen sent shots wide for the home side before they went ahead six minutes before half-time when their debutant Drew Ricketts beat goalkeeper Green from close range after getting on the end of a well delivered corner.

The initial response was good as the Blues fashioned an almost immediate chance, but new boy Sam Colbear saw his header tipped over one-handed by the home keeper, James Wren.

The second half saw Andy Ofosu on for Khan, but it was Sutton who went close as Beresford wasted a decent opening before they doubled their advantage through Keen on 59 minutes after a loose ball broke to him.

Again the response was good as Frickley scored within five minutes when Mangham found the net with a stunning strike.

They kept battling in search of changing their fortunes in away games this season, but Green was called into action as he bravely denied Keen after a goalmouth scramble.

The hosts then put their seal on victory three minutes from time as they grabbed a third goal when Francino Francis thundered in a header from a Jean-Michel Gueyes cross.