Frickley’s run ends with narrow defeat

Frickley Athletic manager Lee Morris watches his team from the sideline.
Frickley Athletic manager Lee Morris watches his team from the sideline.

Frickley Athletic’s bid to make it five games unbeaten in the Evo-Stik Premier League fell short on Tuesday night when they were edged out 1-0 at Matlock Town.

Lee Morris’s men went into the game on the back of three wins and a draw from their previous four matches, but were still looking for their first away point after four straight defeats on their travels.

Another loss followed, although they held their own and were in the contest right up to the final whistle.

The points were ultimately decided by a single goal scored by Matlock’s Dwayne Wiley in the 60th minute and the result saw the Blues drop back to 18th after they had climbed to 15th with victory last Saturday.

Frickley earned a valuable three points from a 2-0 success at home to Marine when they produced possibly the best team display so far since the new manager took over.

With just one change from the side that beat leaders Blyth Spartans in midweek – Nathan Curtis in for Cameron Rigby – they were on the front foot from the start with Rhys Meynell firing just over early on.

Noel Burdett forced the Marine keeper into his first save before he opened the scoring on 20 minutes as Curtis and Luke Mangham combined to set him up for his first goal for the Blues.

Andy Ofosu came close to doubling the lead with two efforts that were saved while Meynell headed just over.

Sebastian Malkowski had a quiet day, but had to make a save in the second half to keep out a shot that bobbled in front of him.

Frickley were still on top, however, with Ofosu causing the visitors all sorts of problems and they came up with a deserved second goal.

Luke Hinsley’s sweet header from Macauley Parkinson’s quality cross made it 2-0 and that was how it stayed until the final whistle, although the Blues did go close to more goals through Hinsley’s long range strike, Burdett’s chip after the move of the game and Nate Valentine, who shot over.