Frickley go nap in impressive win

James Walshaw (right), who scored twice for Frickley against Buxton.
James Walshaw (right), who scored twice for Frickley against Buxton.

Goals from Sam Akeroyd, Tom Davie, Luke Hinsley and two for James Walshaw saw Frickley Athletic comfortably overcome Buxton 5-1 to move into tenth place in the Evo-Stik Premier League table on Tuesday night.

The Blues enjoyed their most emphatic league win of the season as they stretched their unbeaten run to five games in all competitions in excellent style.

They have been further boosted by Simon Lenighan’s return to the club on Tuesday following his departure from Sky Bet Championship side Rotherham United and he came straight into the side in midfield with Akeroyd moving out wide.

Manager Karl Rose was without centre-back Jameel Ible, who had to sit out the first of a four match suspension for his sending off at Ilkeston, but otherwise he had a similar squad available to that of recent matches and he moved the versatile Macauley Parkinson to centre-back.

Akeroyd gave the Blues the perfect start when he put them ahead after just 23 seconds after Hinsley played Walshaw into space on the left and his deep cross came off the head of Young for Akeroyd to steer the ball under Myles Wright at the far post.

Buxton were then reduced to 10 men seven minutes later when Greg Young was sent off for kicking out at Jacob Hazel.

But not for the first time this season, the Blues failed to make the extra man count as they allowed Buxton to control much of the rest of the half.

Wiles put a low 20-yard shot wide for the visitors before Tyler Williams went agonisingly close for the Blues on 17 minutes when his flicked shot from a Steven Jeff cross from the left drifted inches wide of the far post.

Buxton equalised on 20 minutes when Barraclough rose the highest to meet a free-kick from Jamie Green to head into the bottom right hand corner from 12 yards.

Niall Doran curled an 18 yard shot just wide for Buxton on 29 minutes before Walshaw and Hazel exchanged passes on the edge of the box for Hazel to burst clear into the box, but Wright blocked his left footed shot with an outstretched leg.

Barraclough fired wide virtually straight from the second half kick off as Buxton attempted to repeat the Blues’ feat from the first half, but it was Frickley who struck next.

A long clearance from keeper Sebastian Malkowski was collected by Walshaw who controlled the ball well under pressure from Joel Bembo-Leta 22 yards out before turning to place a well struck shot just inside the right hand post.

The Blues extended their lead on the hour when Akeroyd’s left wing corner was flicked on by Walshaw for Davie to blast in from four yards out.

Another Akeroyd corner six minutes later saw Hinsley attack the near post this time and he glanced his header past a stranded Wright.

Walshaw wrapped up the scoring in the 80th minute with a well controlled eight-yard volley from a tight angle following a deep free-kick by Jeff.

Buxton were gifted a chance to reduce the arrears from the penalty in the 87th minute when Malkowski mis-controlled a back pass and brought down Alastair Taylor as he dispossessed him, but the keeper made amends by saving Ricky Ravenhill’s spot-kick.

The win is the club’s highest ever victory over Buxton in 73 meetings between the two clubs and the highest home league win since beating Bradford Park Avenue in January, 2006.

The Blues now move up to 10th place in the table, just seven points adrift of the play-off positions.

Frickley Athletic: Malkowski, Davie, Jeff, Hinsley, Cyrus, Parkinson, Akeroyd (Wood 77), Lenighan, Hazel, Walshaw, Williams (Wakefield 84).

Frickley were left without a game last Saturday when their scheduled match at home to Ashton United was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch following an 11.15am pitch inspection.

It has now been rescheduled for Tuesday, March 15, with a 7.45pm kick-off.

Frickley are on their travels this Saturday when they take on Stamford (kick-off 3pm), who sat second from bottom after a 2-0 defeat at Sutton Coldfield Town last weekend.

In a difficult season Town showed some signs of improvement recently when they went four games unbeaten, including beating Buxton 4-1 in a cup tie, but they have been beaten in their last two league games.