Frickley boost their squad

Frickley's new signing Steven Jeff in action for previous club Ossett Town.
Frickley's new signing Steven Jeff in action for previous club Ossett Town.

Frickley Athletic have added two players to their squad ahead of the busy end of year schedule in the Evo-Stik Premier League.

After losing the services of midfielder Simon Lenighan and forward Zeph Thomas recently, manager Karl Rose has taken the chance to boost numbers again by signing two players who were on the books of fellow Evo-Stik League side Ossett Town.

Left-back Steven Jeff joined the Blues after making more than 100 appearances for Ossett who he joined from Tadcaster Albion.

The vastly experienced 30-year-old has previously played for Football League club Barnsley, Goole and Selby Town.

Rose has also signed midfielder Sam Akeroyd who was released last week by Ossett Town.

The 23-year-old has previously played for Garforth Town, Harrogate Railway and Brighouse Town.

Both new players were denied the chance to make their Frickley debut last Saturday when the scheduled league game at Workington was postponed.

The game was called off around 10.45am after heavy rain made the Workington pitch unplayable.

The pitch had earlier been passed fit to play despite all the flooding problems in the week in Cumbria, but continuous heavy rain afterwards required a pitch inspection which confirmed the game off due to waterlogging.

The match will be rearranged when a suitable date can be found and was the second successive Saturday Frickley were left without action after weather had put paid to another game against title contenders in Nantwich the previous week. A date is still being sought for that match to be played.

Frickley will be hoping for better luck with the weather this Saturday when they travel to play Halesowen Town in a league game (kick-off 3pm).

The Blues are looking for revenge after losing 2-1 to Town at the SW Jackson Utilities Stadium back in September when two late goals from Keyen Reffell turned the game round after Jacob Hazel had put Athletic ahead in the first half.

Rose’s men were somewhat unlucky that day as only the width of the crossbar prevented Luke Hinsley from putting them two up and they remained ahead until six minutes from time.

Halesowen have gone on to have a decent season and although they were beaten 2-0 at Grantham last Saturday they are still in eighth place.