Frickley begin cup defence with eight goal blast

Noel Burdett, who hit a hat-trick for Frickley against Denaby Main.
Noel Burdett, who hit a hat-trick for Frickley against Denaby Main.

Frickley Athletic began the defence of the Sheffield & Hallam Senior Cup in great style as they hammered lower league Denaby Main at home on Tuesday night.

In a first round tie, the Blues were never in any danger of being on the end of an upset as they were five up by half-time on the way to an 8-0 victory.

Noel Burdett set them on the way on 13 minutes and he went on to collect a hat-trick with two more goals after the break. Nathan Curtis had a hat-trick in the bag by half-time and added a fourth in the second period while Rhys Meynell was the Blues’ other scorer.

Frickley suffered disappointment last Saturday when their three-match winning run on home soil came to end amid some controversial decisions against Barwell. Despite a bright start and big finish the Blues lost 3-2 to stay down in 18th place in the Evo-Stik Premier League.

Good work early on by Noel Burdett saw Andy Ofosu break into the box only to shoot just wide. Nathan Valentine then saw a header palmed away by the keeper. A goal looked inevitable and came on 12 minutes as Luke Mangham chipped the ball to Burdett who in turn chipped the keeper to make it 1-0.

But the rails began to come off when the referee awarded a penalty for handball after Sebastian Malkowski made a save and the ball hit a defender on the hand when his arms were by his sides. The keeper could not save his team again and Brady Hickey made it 1-1.

Hickey put Barwell ahead four minutes from half-time after the visitors were allowed to get away with several robust challenges and he completed his hat-trick three minutes later after Malkowski came for a cross and missed it, leaving the visitors’ forward to head into the empty net.

Things went from bad to worse for Frickley in the second half when Luke Hinsley picked up an injury and had to come off. But they gradually came back into the game and Ofosu broke through only to shoot just over. He then saw another shot palmed round the post by the keeper and hit a further effort over.

Frickley did make it 3-2 on 76 minutes when Valentine powered a header home from Macauley Parkinson’s cross. They produced a big finish, but were unlucky to miss out on a point as Gary Stohrer hit a shot inches wide after a great run and Burdett saw a penalty saved after sub Brad Dockerty, on his return to the team, was brought down following a great surge into the area.