An unattended chip pan caught fire, causing the rest of the kitchen to go up in flames.
Firefighters from South Elmsall were called to the house fire in South Kirkby shortly before 10pm last night (Friday).
Two teams had to put out the blaze on Faith Street.
Watch commander Paul Nuttall said there was “substantial damage” caused to the kitchen and smoke had spread to the rest of the property,
He said the blaze resulted in the occupants having to reside with neighbours.
He added that the property did not have smoke detectors.
Anyone wanting a free Home Fire Safety check should call West Yorkshire Fire Service on 0800 587 4536.