Hemsworth Ales Festival, a Yorkshire food market in Ossett and Pontefract’s Starlight Walk are just a few of the activities going on across the Wakefield district this weekend. See below for a full round-up.
- Ales from near and far will be on offer at the Hemsworth Ales Festival, which takes placeon Friday from 4pm to 11pm and on Saturday from 1pm to 11pm. The event will be held at Hemsworth Community Centre, on Bullenshaw Road.
Tickets cost £5 and are available from Box’s Barbers on Highfield Road in the town or Bier Huis, on Towngate in Ossett.
- Monsters and mermaids, leprechauns and unicorns will be at South Elmsall Library. Children can create their own mythical creatures and take part in a colouring competition as part of a crafts session from 10.30am to 12.30pm
- The monthly Yorkshire food and craft market in Ossett. This month’s market will have a Tour de France theme and will feature art work by school children.
- Volunteers are needed to help clear up litter and cut back overgrown paths at the Southern Washlands Nature Reserve. People who want to take part should meet at Harrisons Bridge, on the Aire and Calder Canal Navigation Eastmoor, at 10.30am.
-The Yorkshire and Humberside branch of the National Begonia Society will host its annual show in Outwood. he event will take place at the Memorial Hall, Victoria Street, with judging starting at noon. The hall will open to the public from 2pm.
- Clarence Park Music Festival returns for its 23rd year. Mancunian quartet, Nothside and London-based punk band, Healthy Junkies are this year’s headliners. Live music from Clarence Park bandstand starts at noon on both Saturday and Sunday.
- Artist Sally Gilford will be exploring texture, colour, shape and pattern at a print-making workshop at Yorkshire Sculpture Park. The free family event starts at 10.30am.
- Pontefract Prince of Wales Hospice’s fifth Starlight Walk will take place at Featherstone Rovers’ Big Fellas Stadium. It will have a glitz and glamour theme and hospice bosses are encouraging women to dress up for the walk in the hope of raising £70,000 for the Halfpenny Lane care centre. The event starts at 8.30pm and entry costs £10.
- Stanley Rangers RLFC U15s will be hosting a nine-a-side tournament and fund-raiser. The event starts at 10.30am and there will be a barbecue and stalls with proceeds going to the club and charity. Rangers will face teams from Chorley Panthers, Hull Wyke, Dewsbury Celtic, Wigan St Judes and Crossfields.
- West Yorkshire Police Band will play a collection of classical music within the ruins of Sandal Castle at 2pm.
Visit www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk every Friday to find out what’s on over the coming weekend. Do you have a community or charity event you would like publicising on our website? Get in touch by emailing email@example.com or call 01924 433013.