Ferrybridge make history in county cup final

Ferrybridge Progressive team-mates James Hicks and Mikey Dunn, who played a big part in the side's county cup win. Picture: MATTHEW MERRICK
Ferrybridge Progressive team-mates James Hicks and Mikey Dunn, who played a big part in the side's county cup win. Picture: MATTHEW MERRICK

Ferrybridge Progressive wrote themselves into the Castleford and District FA history books by becoming the first team in the area to win the West Riding County Sunday Cup when they thrashed Bradford Alliance side Thornton United 6-0 in the final.

In the end the score line was a true reflection of the game with Ferrybridge dominating the game from start to finish, at times playing their best football of the season.

After a cagey opening a devastating half hour spell of total football from Ferry ended the game as a contest.

Ferrybridge’s first chance came after 10 minutes when Tom Carr fed prolific striker Mikey Dunn and the youngster forced his way into the box with a powerful run only to see his shot just angle past the post.

Good link-up play between James Hicks and Dunn followed before the latter’s cross was volleyed straight into the arms of Thornton keeper Ryan Blythe by the returning Danny Middleton. Blythe was then grateful to see another volley from Hicks land kindly for him, before showing quick feet to gather a Dunn free-kick.

Ferry did break the deadlock with a goal worthy of any final. Several first time passes found Lee Waites and he played a ball down the wing to youngster Regan Fish, who cut inside to find Carr who from 30 yards hit a rocket of a shot into the bottom of the net.

Andy Seed and Carr were winning the midfield battle and it was from Seed’s long ball that Ferry almost added a second when Middleton’s shot was cleared off the line.

They were not to be denied for long as good work by Fish set up Dunn to crash in his 49th goal of the season.

Ferry then made it three with a Fish penalty awarded for a blatant push on Dunn and could have had another as Hicks headed just over from a pinpoint cross by Mark Whitehouse.

Ferrybridge did not relent after the break and added a fourth five minutes into the half. Alex Booth did well to rob the ball off Josh Milner, his pass found Carr who flicked the ball out wide to Middleton who skipped past two Thornton players before firing a shot past the keeper.

With Ferry cruising, they made a double substitution, Mark Clark and Jamie Bird coming on and immediately settling into to the game. Bird was unlucky to see his shot just invade the upright as more pressure was exerted.

It was 5-0 just after the hour as Jimmy Williams’ headed clearance found Fish and his pass gave Hicks a chance to fire past the keeper from some 35 yards out.

Thornton’s impossible task was not helped when full-back James Smith was showed a straight red for an ugly lunge on Fish. With a man advantage Ferry’s passing game was even more effective and they added a sixth goal in the last minute when Dunn was felled inside the box and youngster Brett Smith drilled the resulting spot kick into the net.

Regan Fish’s performance above his years earned him the MOM award, but it was everyone’s best game in the Ferrybridge colours on a memorable night.