Father-of-two died days after car smash

Lee Heatley
Lee Heatley

A KINSLEY father-of-two died days after a horrific car smash – ten years after his own father was killed on a motorbike.

Lee David Heatley, of Tombridge Crescent, died after his BMW was catapulted 50 metres off the road after he lost control and struck a kerb on the A639 Pontefract while negotiating a right hand bend, Wakefield Coroner’s Court heard last Wednesday.

The 23-year-old died in hospital on February 1 - ten days after the crash.

Mr Heatley’s son Archie was three-weeks-old, and daughter Caitlyn was nine months old when the incident happened.

In 2001 Mr Heatley’s father David, 33, was killed on a motorbike when Mr Heatley was just 14 years old.

Speaking at the time of his death, Mr Heatley’s distraught mum, Jane Ann Heatley, 43 said: “It’s terrible and is made even worse by the fact that his father was killed in a road traffic accident 10 years ago.

“It just makes it that much harder to deal with.”

The hearing was told that on the night of the crash, Mr Heatley had taken his friend John Richardson to Pontefract Hospital and was returning home with another friend, Alex Boughen, 19.

The car somersaulted through the air and bounced several times before landing 50 metres away on marshland.

The badly-damaged vehicle was upside down and partially submerged in water

Mr Boughen told the court Mr Heatley’s face was under the water and he pulled him out and revived him.

Mr Heatley, who was soaking wet and covered in mud, and Mr Boughen walked to the main road where they got a lift to Pontefract Hospital at around 3am, on January 22.

Doctors feared Mr Heatley was suffering from hypothermia and within an hour his condition rapidly deteriorated.

He was transferred to the intensive care unit at Dewsbury and District Hospital where he died.

A post-mortem examination revealed he died from multiple organ failure as a result of the crash and near drowning.

PC Mark Lingard of West Yorkshire Police’s collision investigation unit told the inquest that neither man was wearing a seat belt when the crash happened.

Assistant Deputy Coroner Kevin McCloughlin recorded a verdict of accidental death.