FA Cup tie win gives Hemsworth MW a flying start

Scorer: Harry Viggars.
Scorer: Harry Viggars.

Hemsworth MW carried on their good work from last season as they began the new campaign with a terrific FA Cup win over a good Runcorn Linnets side.

Unusually the new season began with an extra preliminary round tie in the famous old competition and saw Wayne Benn’s men progress with a 2-1 success.

Wells were a free scoring team last term and began where they left off as two goals in the opening 17 minutes put them in control of their tie against opponents from the North West Counties Premier Division.

Harry Viggars gave them a flying start with the opening goal scored from close range after just seven minutes.

It was 2-0 10 minutes later when Nash Connolly found the net.

Linnets battled to stay in the game and became frustrated. It showed when they had their manager sent off in the second half and there was a melee in the first half that resulted in red cards for Wells’ Cameron Clark and Runcorn’s Anthony Hickley.

It stayed 2-0 until five minutes from time when Adam Wade’s powerful shot pulled a goal back. It made for a nervy finish, but Wells saw the game out to earn their place in the next round when they will be away to Mossley on August 20.

Now they turn their attentions to their first-ever campaign in the Premier Division of the NCE League following promotion, with their opening game scheduled for last night at Parkgate and their first home game against Garforth Town this Saturday (3pm). Hemsworth also host Bridlington Town next Tuesday (7.45pm).

Preparations have gone well with Hemsworth at their highest point in the pyramid since their formation and determined to make an impact after fine seasons in the last two, when they have played some great football and scored plenty of goals.

Wells have been given a boost with Harry Viggars signing a season long contract despite attracting interest from Evo-Stik League teams. They have brought in goalkeeper Sam Leigh plus Brice Tiani from Liversedge and Del Pollock from Glasshoughton Welfare, but have lost Shane Kelsey to retirement and midfielder Jason Yates, who has joined ambitious Evo-Stik League side Shaw Lane AFC.

Manager Wayne Benn is looking forward to the challenge ahead.

He said: “We expect to go up and do well. The players are up for the challenge.

“All the people I have spoke to from Division One expect us to do well. Talk is cheap and we have to do it on the pitch.

“We know the quality we have got and we’re going to try and attack the league.

“The club have never had it as good. We are playing at the highest standard we have ever played at. Attendances are up and there is a massive feel good factor about the place.”