A woman who claims her dog was poisoned in a malicious attack has warned other pet owners to be on their guard.
Estelle Walton says her 18-month-old Staffordshire bull terrier, Brin, was targeted after surgical gloves filled with an unknown substance were thrown into her garden.
Ms Walton, of Harrow Street, South Elmsall, said: “I let Brin out into the back garden one morning and realised he was eating something.
“I found four surgical gloves that had been thrown into my garden and some had exploded. One contained dog treats and three were filled with an unknown substance.”
She said Brin had vomited after eating the poison.
Ms Walton added: “If I hadn’t stopped Brin from ingesting the substance things could have been a lot worse.”
She reported the incident on Saturday, April 27, to the RSPCA and the police.
Leanne Plumtree, spokeswoman for the RSPCA, said: “Unfortunately, as it seems there were no witnesses or CCTV, we don’t have anything to go on at the moment.
“We have advised the owner of the dog to ensure she only allows her dog in the garden under supervision.”
Insp Geoff Carter, of the South East Neighbourhood Policing Team (NPT), said: “There have been no other reports of animals being targeted in this way, but we will keep our ears to the ground and our eyes open.
“If anybody has seen or notices anything suspicious please come forward.”
Anyone with information should contact the NPT on 101 or RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.