Burdett gives Frickley boost in cup

Frickley's Noel Burdett (left).
Frickley's Noel Burdett (left).

Frickley Athletic put their league worries behind them as they advanced through the second round of the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup on Tuesday night with a 4-0 success at Stocksbridge Park Steels.

The holders went into the tie off the back of a couple of bad losses, but gave themselves a boost in a competition they have excelled in over recent seasons as Noel Burdett led the way with a hat-trick and Tyler Williams was also on target.

Burdett broke through and finished calmly to have the Blues ahead in the tenth minute.

He added his second on the half-hour and Williams’ solo effort on the stroke of half-time had Frickley well in control.

In a comfortable second half one more goal was added as Burdett completed his hat-trick on 59 minutes after good work down the bye-line.

Frickley remained third from bottom in the Evo-Stik Premier League following a disappointing home display when they went down 4-1 to Nantwich Town last Saturday.

Manager Lee Morris made several changes after the 6-2 FA Trophy defeat against Shaw Lane defeat with new signings Derek Daly and Laurie Wilson coming into the starting line-up, Shiraz Khan and Joe Thornton returning after being unavailable and Sam Akeroyd back in the team. Burdett was on the bench after a recent injury.

Frickley got off to a bright start as Akeroyd set up Luke Hinsley who broke into the box and was tripped but carried on and hit his shot just over.

Laurie Wilson produced a fine half-volley soon after, which was just clawed away by the keeper. He repeated the effort minutes later and was unlucky again as his shot went just wide. A lovely passing move set up Nathan Valentine, but his curling effort went just wide.

The Blues finally went ahead on 28 minutes as Hinsley broke into the box, slipped as he tried to get his shot off, but still had the strength to get up and slide a second attempt past the keeper.

However, Nantwich turned the game round with two goals in the last five minutes of the first half from Ryan Brooke.

Frickley came out fighting in the second half with Gary Stohrer’s shot deflected for a corner. But their hopes were hit when Daly was sent a straight red card to have his debut ended early.

Nantwich took advantage of their extra man to add to their lead through Sean Cooke and they rubbed salt into the wound with a fourth goal in the 90th minute, Tim Sanders netting.