Wood double helps Frickley Athletic to cup quarter-final success over Athersley

editorial image

Frickley Athletic kept their dreams of adding some silverware to the Westfield Lane trophy cabinet alive with a 3-1 victory over Athersley Recreation in the Sheffield and Hallam Senior Cup quarter-final.

The Blues had to come from behind against their lower-division opposition but eventually progressed to the last four in convincing fashion thanks to a brace of Chris Wood goals and one from Matty Bloor.

The match was in doubt for the second week running due to the cold conditions around South Elmsall but referee Dean Bradshaw gave the clash the green light.

Frickley made a promising start with Chris Fisher making a penetrating run in the fifth minute before whipping in a cross which Athersley goalkeeper Darren Shirt, who had a stint with the Blues earlier this season, caught under the bar.

Bloor then hammered a 35-yard drive just wide but it was the visitors who opened the scoring in the 15th minute.

Smooth build-up play resulted in Jason Bentley rounding a defender and Blues goalkeeper Jamie Green before tucking the ball into an empty net to give the visitors a shock lead.

Karl Rose and his men were in no mood to endure a cup upset, however, and the hosts were on level terms just three minutes later.

A Jimmy Gaichem free-kick was headed in by Wood to level, and Frickley almost took the lead in the 26th minute when Joe Wilcox made a strong run and saw his low shot turned behind.

Pressure was mounting on the visiting goal and Luke Hinsley had a shot well saved by Shirt five minutes before the interval.

The Blues were not to be denied the lead before half-time, however, and another Ghaichem free-kick was flicked on by Jake Picton for Bloor to head the Blues in front.

Athersley made a determined attempt to get on level terms but the Frickley back four was in stubborn mood, although Ryan White had a shot diverted behind just before the hour mark.

Frickley made sure of their progression in the 64th minute when Wood bagged his second of the match, cashing in on a poor back pass before drilling a 15-yard effort into the back of the net.

Recreation did not throw in the towel, with Bentley rattling the bar with an angled shot, but they were unable to narrow the gap and give the Blues a late scare.

Frickley: Jamie Green, Joe Wilcox, Chris Fisher, Jake Picton, Luke Jeffs, Callum Howe, Jason Yates, Matty Bloor, Luke Hinsley (Terry Barwick 67), Chris Wood, Jimmy Ghiachem. Unused subs: Lee Stratford, Danny Walsh, Gareth Clayton, Tom Woodhead.

Athersley: Darren Shirt, Thomas Harban, Shane Clifford, Gareth Hunter, Scott Poxon, Ryan White, Lee Bennett, Adam White, Jason Bentley (Jamie Sutton 74), Steven Bennett (Richard Gomersall 67), Jack Briscoe. Unused subs: David Jennings, Carl Siddall, Leon Ghazvini.

Referee: Mr Dean Bradshaw

Attendance: 153.