Featherstone Rovers have handed three-year banning orders to three male supporters after the club made an appeal earlier this week for information in identifying a “small minority” of fans who were involved in crowd trouble at Sunday’s Challenge Cup game at Leigh Centurions.
More than 600 Rovers supporters attended the fifth round tie at Leigh Sports Village which the Centurions won 26-16.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, Rovers said: “Everyone at Featherstone Rovers , from the CEO to the volunteers working on the new stands, are working tirelessly in the ongoing preparations to realise our ambitions to play in rugby league’s top tier.
“All these preparations become null and void, if as a club, our spectators cannot conduct themselves in a manner befitting that of the club’s rich history and the last four seasons successes in winning the League Leaders Shield.
“The club would like to thank those supporters who have assisted us with our investigations, which have been both through and were concluded on Tuesday. The club can confirm that three males who were in attendance at Leigh Sports Village on Sunday will receive a three year banning order which includes all games at the Big Fellas Stadium and games away from the Big Fellas Stadium that involve Featherstone Rovers.”
Rovers chief executive Craig Poskitt said: “As a club we felt it was important and necessary to prioritise this investigation as the actions of these individuals at Leigh Sports Village were totally unacceptable.
“Not only was it mindless and dangerous, it spoiled the afternoon for many supporters who provide great support to the team when we are away from home, and I would like to emphasis the point that the majority of the fans at Leigh were all well behaved, and this was an isolated incident.
“ I would like to thank those who have assisted with our enquiries and that it has been concluded effectively with appropriate punishments being handed out. The club is making great strides off the pitch and unfortunately unsavoury incidents such as this, undermine the hard work being carried out at the club by the board of directors, staff, commercial partners and amazing volunteers. Hopefully, we can now draw a line under this incident and continue to support the club in the right way, starting on Sunday for the visit of Leigh Centurions in the Kingstone Press Championship.”