Frickley home in on first win of season

On target: Luke Hinsley.
On target: Luke Hinsley.
Have your say

Luke Hinsley and Royale Johnson scored a goal each as Frickley Athletic recorded their first win of the season against Mickleover Sports on Tuesday.

Manager Karl Rose brought in defender Sam Topliss on dual registration forms from North Ferriby United while Tyler Williams made his first start with Brad Dockerty on the bench.

The Blues set out their stall early with Zeph Thomas putting a curling 30-yard shot narrowly wide of the right hand post in the fourth minute.

Sports responded when Charlie Daws forced Sebastian Malkowski to tip over his 25-yard shot and Chris Palmer saw his 25-yard free-kick clear the bar.

As the half wore on it was the Blues who were the more threatening. On 27 minutes Luke Jeffs released Jacob Hazel down the left of the box and he hit a ferocious angled shot which Ross Atkins did well to push away.

Eight minutes later a Jeffs free-kick from the right was headed just wide by Jameel Ible from eight yards, but on 38 minutes the Blues broke the deadlock when another Jeffs free-kick saw Hinsley stoop to head just inside the near post from 10 yards.

Gary Rickets blazed over from a tight angle from close range for Sports on the hour mark, but Luke Hornsey went agonisingly close to extending the Blues’ lead on 64 minutes, his 16-yard shot going inches wide.

A minute later Simon Lenighan sent Zeph Thomas clear and he lobbed the advancing Atkins from 20 yards only to see Nilo Degirolamo clear off the line.

The visitors were still posing a threat with Ricketts heading comfortably into the arms of Malkowski on 68 minutes and Malkowski had to push a 25-yard free kick from substitute Anthony Griffiths Junior over the bar five minutes later.

Topliss burst away down the right in the 79th minute and sent over a cross which substitute Johnson glanced against the legs of Atkins from close range.

The Blues finally sealed the win in the 82nd minute when a Sports corner was cleared as far as Dockerty on half way. He held the ball up well before releasing Johnson who beat Atkins with an angled shot from 25 yards.

There was still time for Malkowski to block a 20-yard shot from Griffiths Junior and then deflect the follow-up from Ricketts over from point blank range.

Frickley Athletic: Malkowski, Topliss, Jeffs, Hinsley, Cyrus, Ible, Hornsey, Lenighan, Hazel (Johnson 78), Thomas (Wood 90), Williams (Dockerty 75).

John Cyrus scored a 90th minute equaliser as Frickley Athletic came from two goals down to earn their first point of the season with a 2-2 draw at Sutton Coldfield Town in the Evo-Stik Premier League on Saturday.

Returning to the side after missing the midweek trip to Darlington through injury, centre-back Cyrus was pushed up front for the last few minutes and knocked in Royale Johnson’s cushioned header from four yards to salvage an unlikely draw.

Recent signing Tyler Williams had earlier come off the bench and reduced the arrears just seconds after setting foot on the pitch.

With Cyrus returning to the side Luke Jeffs moved to left-back in place of James Kay and new signing Jacob Hazel came in up front for Johnson.

The Blues got off to a disastrous start when in only the second minute Philip Trainer was left in acres of space inside the box for him to fire past keeper Sebastian Malkowski to give the home side the lead.

Hazel was sent clear by Simon Lenighan on 16 minutes, but he lobbed wide from 20 yards as he was put under pressure by Joel Kettle.

Referee Christopher Husband waved away big Blues’ claims for a penalty for a handball offence inside the box by Kyle Rowley in the 25th minute and two minutes later Town could have been 2-0 up as Jordan Nadat headed against the bar from close range and Malkowski pushed away the follow up from Justin Richards.

Malkowski then blocked another effort from Richards with Macaulay Parkinson clearing the rebound off the line as the Blues’ defence continued to look shaky.

Zeph Thomas saw his first time 20-yard volley fly over the bar before Town added a second goal a minute before half-time when a cross from the right was missed by Nadat but the unmarked Richards was on hand to fire in.

Half-time saw Brad Dockerty replaced by Royale Johnson as manager Karl Rose went with three up front to try and reduce the deficit.

However, it was the home side who ought to have scored again in the 58th minute when Richards blazed over from 12 yards.

Luke Hinsley blasted over from 15 yards for the Blues in the 67th minute, but in the 73rd Williams replaced Thomas and was immediately sent clear through the middle to roll the ball past the advancing James Wren to reduce the arrears.

The Blues huffed and puffed as they looked for an equaliser, but with time running out Cyrus was pushed up front and when Chris Wood flicked the ball on for Williams to cross to the back post Johnson headed the ball into the path of Cyrus to knock in from close range.

Three minutes into stoppage time Blues’ fans had thoughts of pinching all three points as they were awarded a free-kick 25 yards out, but Hinsley’s shot sailed well over.

Sutton Coldfield Town: Wren, Gonzales, Jackson (Ballinger 80), Forde, Rowley, Kettle, Fitzpatrick (Leek 65), Trainer, Nadat (Danks 82), Melvin, Richards.

Frickley Athletic: Malkowski, Parkinson, Jeffs, Hinsley, Cyrus, Ible, Hornsey, Lenighan, Hazel (Wood 57), Thomas (Williams 73), Dockerty (Johnson 45).