Frickley go from four star display to heavy cup defeat

Luke Hinsley, scorer against Trafford.
Luke Hinsley, scorer against Trafford.
Have your say

Frickley Athletic will be out to make it three Evo-Stik Premier League wins in a row when they travel to play Curzon Ashton this Saturday.

Karl Rose’s men can climb further away from the relegation zone if they continue the impressive all-round displays of their previous two league games when they have kept two clean sheets in vastly improved defensive efforts following the addition of Chesterfield loanee Jack Broadhead.

After beating Marine 1-0 the previous week the Blues proved far too good for Trafford last Saturday as a clinical first half display helped secure another vital win over opponents below them in the table and Athletic were also able to boost their goal difference with a 4-0 success..

Three goals in the first 22 minutes from Jack Broadhead, Max Leonard and Luke Hinsley gave the Blues a flying start and although the visitors showed some neat passing play Frickley were too powerful and a second half goal from top scorer Gavin Allott sealed a fine result.

With Danny South released to join Ossett Albion and Reece Thompson suspended, Hinsley reunited with his old strike partner Allott up front. Joe Davies pulled up in the warm-up so Jameel Ible slotted in at left-back following his signing last week from Guiseley.

The Blues got off to a great start in the third minute when a corner from the left found centre-back Broadhead unmarked and he stabbed home from just outside the six-yard box.

The hosts then pressed home their advantage as an incisive through ball from Matt Young down the right channel set Leonard free and he dinked a delightful finish over keeper Tom Read to make it 2-0 after just eight minutes.

The visitors slowly got a foothold in the game and played some neat possession football. They were unlucky in the 16th minute as the impressive Payne curled a low shot from the edge off the area only to see Ben Simpson tip the ball onto the post. Simpson repeated his heroics two minutes later to block Rory Fallon’s shot.

On 22 minutes there looked little danger as Hinsley picked up the ball in the left channel, but he cut inside unchallenged and struck from the edge of the area low into the bottom right hand corner to make it 3-0.

The Blues were cruising and could have increased their lead with John Cyrus and Hinsley both putting headers wide.

Frickley remained comfortable after the break and added to their tally in the 67th minute when Allott turned inside the six-yard box. Although his initial poke was saved the ball rebounded off him again to trickle over the line.

On 85 minutes manager Rose made his home debut for the Blues. He almost rolled back the years as he ghosted onto a Brad Riley pass to lash a vicious left footed drive that stung the keeper’s palms. Luke Jeffs also came on to make his 100th appearance for the club on a great day for them.

A much changed Frickley Athletic side crashed out of the Doodson Sport Cup with a poor display as they suffered a 7-1 defeat in a second round tie at Harrogate Railway Athletic on Monday night.

Karl Rose shuffled his pack with Sam Leigh replacing Ben Simpson in the Blues goal. Injury kept Joe Davies out so Jameel Ible continued at left- back. In midfield there was a first start in two months for Luke Hornsey after his long term knee injury and for Bobby Johnson while Luke Jeffs played in an unfamiliar left midfield role as Max Leonard went up front.

Frickley started well and should have gone in front after Luke Hinsley burst into the box, but his shot lacked power and was saved. Harrogate did go in front when a corner was headed into his own goal by Ible.

The Blues went up the other end and should have had an equaliser as Hinsley’s shot appeared to cross the line, but the referee was not impressed. Railway immediately broke up field and the Blues were caught short as Baker clipped a neat finish past a stranded Leigh.

Malachi Farquarson then scored the first of his four goals to put the home side 3-0 up at the break.

It was more of the same after the break as the goals continued to flow for the hosts. Farquarson netted three more and Cartman got his 24th goal of the season before a late consolation for the Blues saw Johnson pop up at the back post to poke home.

Frickley are also in cup action next Tuesday when they host neighbours Hemsworth MW in a Sheffield and Hallamshire Senior Cup quarter-final on Tuesday (kick-off 7.45pm).