Stay safe at bonfires

Northfield Primary School children enjoyed a visit from firefighters who talked to them about safety over bonfire night. Martin Clegg with Jasmin Burton, Joe Allen, Ashleigh Morris, Corey Lang and Nicole Ellison. (H549A243)
Northfield Primary School children enjoyed a visit from firefighters who talked to them about safety over bonfire night. Martin Clegg with Jasmin Burton, Joe Allen, Ashleigh Morris, Corey Lang and Nicole Ellison. (H549A243)

PUPILS swapped history for hose pipes when they were visited by firefighters.

The youngsters from Northfield Primary School in South Kirkby were able to try on helmets and get a closer look at a fire engine last Thursday.

They were also taught the importance of staying safe at bonfire night.

Crew manager at South Elmsall fire station, Dave Bastow, said: “We wanted to go into schools to make sure children are aware of the dangers surrounding bonfire night, that while they are having fun, they should keep it in mind to stay safe.”

Youngsters were told startling facts about fire to highlight just how dangerous it can be. Every year, ten people are blinded by fireworks and more than 300 people are injured by them.

But the most common accidents are due to sparklers, which when lit are around 2000 degrees - three times hotter than a chip pan.

Mr Bastow said: “I hope children and parents take everything on board to make sure we have a safe bonfire night.”