Rise in fires caused by cooking across Wakefield

editorial image
0
Have your say

Firefighters have issued safety advice after a rise in blazes caused by cooking last month.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service were called out to six fires across the Wakefield district and 42 across the county during August.

Some of the blazes were caused by items placed too near to hobs catching fire.

Lee Miller, fire investigator, said: “As a result of these cooking related fires seven people have been injured. A common cause, in 14 cases, was items placed too close to a lit hob.

“This was was anything from wooden chopping boards to plastic trays. Occupants were then distracted and the item caught fire.

“In light of these figures, we would like to stress the importance of remaining vigilant in the kitchen and never leaving pans unattended on the heat.”

For further safety advice or to book a fire home fire safety check visit www.westyorksfire.gov.uk where a free Home Fire Safety Check or call 0800 5874536.