ELDERLY residents left stranded when a bus route was cancelled have won a six-month fight to get back on board.
Residents of the Rose Estate, Upton, were left in their homes after Stagecoach scrapped the number 46 Barnsley/Pontefract route around their estate in July last year.
But the company eventually listened to their pleas and will be reintroducing the service – which included four bus stops around the homes – from Saturday.
Resident of 20 years, Alice Palmer, 80, of West Avenue, used to travel to Pontefract several times a week on the service.
She said: “I am so excited that it will be running around the estate again, as it was it was just too far for me to walk to the other bus stops. I used to go just for a few hours just to get me out of the house and think it’s great I can do that again.”
Residents had been forced to walk 25 minutes to the nearest stop on field Lane, also known as Beacon Hill while the service was gone.
Keith Haithewaite, 68, of Penarth Terrace, also said the bus is a lifeline to people in the estate.
Jon Trickett backed the residents’ campaign and said he was glad the company had finally listened to residents.
He added: “I felt it was a heartless decision at the time leaving so many pensioners stranded without any way of getting out of the estate on public transport.”
Rupert Cox, commercial director for Stagecoach, Yorkshire, said: “Customer service is something we take very seriously at Stagecoach. Following customer requests, all journeys on service 46, which links Barnsley with Pontefract via South Elmsall, will, from this weekend, operate through the Rose Estate. This will mean changes to timings between Upton and Pontefract, with buses running up to five minutes earlier or later in each direction.”
Visit www.stagecoachbus.com for more details.