Nuisance neighbours could risk losing their homes

Sgt Lee Carlson at the pedestrian crossing where Coun Laurie Harrison was attacked
Sgt Lee Carlson at the pedestrian crossing where Coun Laurie Harrison was attacked

RESIDENTS are being warned they could risk losing their homes if their behaviour is disruptive to their neighbours.

The warning comes after a woman from South Elmsall was served with an anti-social behaviour injunction at Pontefract County Court last month following a joint operation by Wakefield and District Housing (WDH), the South East neighbourhood policing team (NPT) and Wakefield Council’s anti-social behaviour unit.

The injunction restricts behaviour and prevents certain people from visiting her property.

WDH and the NPT also secured a notice of intention to seek possession - which means the tenant could lose her home if the injunction is breached.

Gary Lumb, WDH’s community safety manager, said: “We always take reports of anti-social behaviour extremely seriously and take action against those who cause problems for other tenants and residents on local estates.”

Mr Lumb also urged anyone with any information about anti-social behaviour to contact them with details.

He added: “By working with partners such as the NPT we can get to the root of any issues as soon as possible. It’s also important that we work closely with tenants and residents and I would like to thank local people for their support.”

Sergeant Lee Carlson, of the NPT, said he hoped the case would act as a showcase of the work being done to prevent anti-social behaviour.

Sgt Carlson said: “It has been fantastic to see the opinion of local residents change as they have witnessed first hand the sustained attention we have show to find a long term solution to this problem.

“Sometimes people can be all too ready to criticise the police but I have been proud of the work done by my team in this case and of the confidence the local community have shown in us by providing information.”

To report anti-social behaviour call WDH’s OneCall helpline on 0845 8 507 507 or the NPT on 101.