Brass band claim victory at top event
Members of the Carlton Main Frickley Colliery Band were singing from the rooftops after taking first prize in a regional competition.
The talented group were crowned Yorkshire Champion Brass Band at the event which took place at St George’s Hall, Bradford, on Sunday.
Toni Durrant, of the band, said she was thrilled at being chosen when they were up against other great bands such as Black Dyke, Grimethorpe and Brighouse and Rastrick bands.
The band is a self-funded brass band with no sponsorship.
Mrs Durrant said: “This is no mean feat in the current economic climate and takes a lot of hard work by all involved to sustain, and this only goes to further our sense of achievement.”
The band will go on to represent Yorkshire at the national finals which take place at the Royal Albert Hall, London, in October.
- Homes plan to begin next year
- Children’s heart unit at Leeds General Infirmary to reopen
- Tough Challenge Cup draws for Castleford and Featherstone
- UPDATE: Former Prime Minister Baroness Margaret Thatcher dies- her politics divided a nation
- Former prime minister Margaret Thatcher dies following a stroke
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Wakefield
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North east