In today’s Hemsworth and South Elmsall Express we lead on the shock defeat of long standing councillor Laurie Harrison, who was due to be appointed Mayor of Wakefield next month.
Also in news:
- A health ombudsman has ruled that a Hemsworth great-grandmother who died after an illegally sold cigarette filter got lodged in her throat was failed by Pontefract Hospital.
- Former Hemsworth town councillor John Richardson has been cleared of assaulting a teenage girl and her dad.
- A detailed look at last week’s Wakefield Council elections.
- Hemsworth’s unbeaten mixed martial arts fighter Scott Askham tops the bill in a world middleweight title match in Southampton next month.
- Moorthorpe Rangers under 10s soccer team completed an unprecedented treble by lifting the Charles Rice League Cup.
- Heavy rain washed out the entire local cricket programme last Saturday.
- A full round up of all the latest junior sports reports, plus cycling and angling news.