DCSIMG

Family get new shed after fire

A shed maker has come to a family’s aid after their allotment was torched.

Donna Johnston’s family were upset to find their shed and gardening tools had been burned after a fire at their allotment on George Street, South Hiendley.

Her nine-year old son Lewis’s gardening kit was also destroyed in the blaze after the shed was set alight at around 2.30am on Saturday, February 16.

A hoe which was a Father’s Day present for her husband Chris was also wrecked in the fire.

But after reading about the fire in the Express, joiner Steve Oldroyd contacted the family to offer them a new shed for free.

Mrs Johnston, who discovered the damage after reading about the fire on the Express Facebook site, said: “We are really pleased and this is going to make a big difference to us.

“It’s given us a really good start for rebuilding the allotment.

“He even let Lewis pick a shed in the colour he wanted, so he chose blue. Lewis was absolutely over the moon with it.

Lewis has already taken him a thank you card but a huge thank you again to Steve.

Mr Oldroyd, who runs Aadvark Joinery on Ashmount Industrial Estate in Kinsley, said the new shed should be ready by the end of this week.

He said: “I run a shed company and I thought this was something I could do to help.

“It’s just a small thing for me to do but I hope it will make a big difference to the family.”

Fire fighters from South Elmsall fire station tackled the allotment fire, and police said anyone with information should call then on 101.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news