Frickley climb table after first two wins

Frickley Athletic players celebrate against Stafford Rangers with goal scorer Cameron Rigby (centre looking to camera). Picture: Andrew Bellis (AB331g0916)
Frickley Athletic players celebrate against Stafford Rangers with goal scorer Cameron Rigby (centre looking to camera). Picture: Andrew Bellis (AB331g0916)
Have your say

Frickley Athletic have enjoyed a fantastic week with new manager Lee Morris following up his first win in charge by guiding the Blues to a stunning success against top of the table Blyth Spartans.

The Blues came from behind in thrilling style to earn their first victory of the season as they beat Stafford Rangers 2-1 in the Evo-Stik Premier League last Saturday.

And there was more success to come on Tuesday night when Rhys Meynell’s 86th minute header gave them a 1-0 victory over a Blyth team that had only previously lost once in the league.

Outstanding defending kept the leaders at bay and it was Frickley that came up with the decisive goal as defender Meynell came up for a free-kick and sent his header past the Spartans keeper.

The win earned the Blues revenge for their recent FA Cup defeat to Blyth and saw them climb out of the bottom three after picking up seven points from their last three matches.

Frickley looked to be heading for another defeat last Saturday when one down with 10 minutes to play against Stafford, but it was third time lucky for manager Morris as in his third game in charge two goals in four minutes from Macauley Parkinson and Cameron Rigby turned the match on its head.

With the same starting 11 that had earned Frickley’s first point of the season in midweek, they began well with Nathan Curtis forcing an early save from the Stafford keeper and Andy Gascoigne dragging a shot wide. A great move followed before Curtis saw his shot blocked.

But it was Stafford who took the lead in the 16th minute as George Bowerman was allowed too much time and room and scored from close range.

Curtis saw a shot palmed away as Frickley looked to hit back and the Blues had a big shot for a penalty turned down when there appeared to be handball in the area.

Undeterred, they kept pushing forward and Gascoigne broke through three tackles only to shoot over. Curtis had a shot saved and Bailey saw his effort cleared off the line.

In the second half the Blues continued to attack with Nath Valentine shooting over and Rigby seeing a low shot saved.

They were finally rewarded 10 minutes from time as Parkinson’s free-kick from just inside the visitors’ half found the net via what looked like a slight touch off Mangham.

There was no disputing the scorer of a second goal four minutes later when Valentine and Parkinson combined and the latter’s pass gave Rigby the chance to score what turned out to be the winning goal.

Stafford had a late chance to grab a point, but were denied by a great save from Sebastian Malkowski.