Fire service issues top tips for electrical safety

0
Have your say

RESIDENTS are being urged to take care when using electrical equipment to avoid a house fire.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued advice to help keep people safe as part of Electrical Fire Safety Week, which takes place until Sunday.

The service’s top tips include switching off and unplugging appliances that are not in use, such as kettles and washing machines, only putting one plug in a socket, using the correct fuse to prevent overheating and replacing old and frayed cables.

Firefighters also advise keeping combustible materials away from incoming mains supplies and gas hobs, keeping electrical appliances clean and dust free and keeping heaters away from curtains and furniture.

Electric blankets should be unplugged before residents go to bed and the fire service also recommends using a residual current device to protect against electric shocks and reduce the risk of electrical fires.

Last year 265 house fires were caused by faulty or misused electrical equipment.

Assistant chief fire officer Craig McIntosh, director of fire safety, said: “Fire in the home can be devastating, but it is nearly always preventable. It is really important that people check their electrics are working properly and in good working order.”

Visit www.celebratesafer.co.uk for more fire safety advice.