Dog dials 999 and saves his own life

George the dog rescued by police after nearly strangling itself with the phone cord. Pictured with owner Lydia Brown.
George the dog rescued by police after nearly strangling itself with the phone cord. Pictured with owner Lydia Brown.

A CLEVER canine managed to dial 999 for help after getting a telephone wire stuck around his neck.

Police rushed to a house on George Street, South Hiendley, after an emergency operator reported hearing heavy breathing at the other end of the line.

They found that the dog in distress, a Basset Hound called George, had managed to get tangled up in the telephone cable and was being strangled. He had somehow managed to call 999 on the old-fashioned dial of the phone.

Owner Lydia Brown, 18, said her neighbour, Paul Walker, who let the officers into the house, had been the first one to spot her two-year-old pup was choking and ripped the wire from around his neck.

She said: “I locked up and went to work, leaving our two family dogs at home. Then I got a message from my dad, saying I had to call him back and that it was urgent.

“He told me six police officers were at our house because they had received a call with heavy breathing. They rushed straight around and were trying to knock the door down because nobody was home. Our neighbour Paul has a key and opened the door for them.

“They ran in with their torches and rushed upstairs. Paul spotted George with the telephone wire wrapped round his neck.

“He had actually dialled 999 and saved his own life. I was just in shock. I couldn’t believe he did it.”

George has now become an unlikely celebrity after his adventure, which happened on March 24, featured in a national newspaper.

Miss Brown said: “George was a bit shaken up but he had recovered by the time I got home from work. He was so lucky and didn’t even need to go to the vets, thanks to Paul.

“We are always having to hide things, George likes to chew absolutely everything.

“He’s very playful. We think he must have managed to pull the phone off the dresser by its wire and just got caught up in it.

“We are really grateful to Paul for everything he did.”