A South Hiendley allotment owner says he’s ‘devastated’ after arsonists torched his shed in the latest of a series of attacks.
Arsonists set fire to two sheds and stole equipment and tools at George Street allotments on Thursday, October 23.
Allotment owner Steve Foster, whose shed was destroyed, said: “An attempt had previously been made to burn down my shed, which had chickens inside it, but the fire didn’t take hold.
“I’ve had to get rid of my chickens. In September last year someone broke in and mutilated some of the birds.
“Now this incident has happened and I have just had enough. It’s devastating.
“I’m not replacing the shed because there’s no point. I have five more and I’m just waiting for them to be burnt down as well.”
Ken Hewitt, chairman of South Hiendley Parish Council, said: “Apart from being mindless vandalism, arson is a serious crime.
“One of the sheds which was burnt down had only been replaced after a similar incident in February.
“This is the third such incident in relatively short period of time, who knows what these mindless culprits or culprit might be capable of next.”
Insp Geoff Carter said: “Earlier in the year we had some similar offences and it concerns me that they may have restarted.
“The matter is being investigated by the ward manager.
“Arson is a serious offence and can often put people at risk of harm.
“It also ties firefighters up when they may be needed at other emergencies.”