Abduction rumours a ‘misunderstanding’, say police.

Latest news...
Latest news...

A police inspector has spoken out to put parent’s minds at ease after rumours of an attemped child abduction swept the area.

Claims that a man in a white Belingo van tried to snatch two young girls who were walking home from school in South Kirkby were published on social networking sites. One local school also warned parents by text message to be on their guard.

But Insp Geoff Carter, from the South Kirkby neighbourhood police team (NPT) said the incident had been a misunderstanding and that the man was genuinely in need of help. He also praised the girls involved for their actions.

Insp Carter said: “We are aware that there is a message circulating that there has been an attempted child abduction in South Kirkby on October 1. I can confirm that this is not the case. The incident was investigated and found to be to have been a misunderstanding. However I would praise the children involved for doing the right thing in not talking to strangers and telling their mother about the incident.”